Please note this blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://eversolovely.com
and update your bookmarks. You will also need to update your RSS and subscriptions since the address has changed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, April 23, 2010

follow friday :: garrett scales


Originally from Florida, Raleigh is lucky to have Garrett Scales as one of their local artists. I've been a fan of his work ever since I saw his Frida at Visual Art Exchange last summer and MAN...if you think his work is amazing, wait until you are lucky enough to see it in person. He uses hand cut stencils and spray paint to make these phenomenal works of art! The amount of detail that goes into his art is insane! I love the lines, the colors and well...pretty much the fact that they are each unique works of art, makes these paintings very lovely! I cannot wait to see his next show!

I had the chance to interview Garrett and here's what he had to say about his work.

Scales hard at work 

When and how did you first become interested in painting?
I can remember being fascinated with art at a very young age. Design came much later, after I graduated from NC Sate and more out of necessity than desire. 

How long have you been an artist?
Since early childhood. My mom sat me down at a small wooden table with paper and crayons. I've been keeping myself entertained in that same manner ever since.

What is your favorite time of day to create?
As much as it is a pain time wise, the evening always seems to be the best.
I find myself a little too energized during the day. The calmness of night helps me focus.

Garrett Scales at work

Finished work with the artist (below)



What is a typical day for you like?
Wake up late for work, take way too long to eat lunch, work too long, and then stay up too late drawing/planning/cutting stencils.


What was your most challenging painting to create?
The biggest piece I've created so far clocks in around the 4' by 8' range. I dislike canvas so I'm a little restricted to what sizes are available in wood. I bet by this time next year though I will have found a way around that.


What is your biggest accomplishment to date?
My biggest accomplishment so far has been to balance work with art and to make my way in life through both. I often take it for granted, but am sincerely grateful for what I have and what I'm capable of doing.


Places you are scheduled to exhibit to this year:
I'm finishing a mural installation at Artspace, which will end up being the largest project I've been involved in. After that group shows here and there.


Who or what inspires you?
Women. I ride my bike downtown. You miss so much just driving through. With the weather warming up you can take in so many colors and feelings a city like this has to offer.
Nature is a major inspiration. Life in general is very inspiring as well. I also find inspiration from fellow artists in the same and different mediums, and people who dare to follow their dreams. Lady Gaga, true story.


Favorite type of cake/cupcake?
Pumpkin Cheesecake made by my good friend Lauren Hart, it's very delicious and highly coveted.
Coffee or tea?
 Tea, green is good.

Thanks Garrett!
To see more of his work (and to become a fan!!!) please visit the following links:
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

follow this blog

Follow Ever So Lovely

lovely fans

Ever So Lovely on Facebook

recent posts

archive

The Lovelies

my shop